Moderating a round table discussion is a nuanced art that seasoned conference moderators excel at. It requires a unique blend of curiosity, authenticity, and strategic preparation. In this article, we delve into the insights shared by experts in the field, both from Switzerland and around the globe.
Guiding Lights in Moderation of Meetings
In Switzerland, luminaries like Romaine Jean and Laurent Haug, along with accomplished journalists from various media, have set the standard for effective moderation. Internationally, figures like Bo Krüger, Martijn Timmermans, Ruud Janssen, Terri Breining, Gerrit Heijkoop, and Juraj Holub have left an indelible mark with their passion for facilitation.
Wisdom from Romaine Jean
In an exclusive podcast, Romaine Jean shares the secrets to successful panel moderation. Key takeaways include:
- Curiosity: Be genuinely interested in the discussion.
- Authenticity: Give of yourself to connect with the audience.
- Active Listening: Stay present and engaged with the conversation.
- Structured Approach: Have a scenario and a clear red thread for the discussion.
- Thorough Preparation: Dig deep into the subject matter to be well-informed.
- Adaptability: Be ready to improvise and handle unexpected turns.
- Awareness: Stay informed about current issues.
- Speaker Familiarity: Know your panelists well and introduce them thoughtfully.
Preparing for Success
Preparation is the cornerstone of successful moderation. Key aspects include:
- Early Speaker Contact: Reach out to speakers beforehand to align expectations.
- Non-Verbal Mastery: Energize the stage with dynamic presence, gestures, and smiles. Seek guidance from non-verbal specialists like Olga Ciesco.
- Verbal Prowess: Master rhetoric and consider engaging a public speaking coach for enhanced presentation skills.
Managing Dynamics and Creating Impact
Ensure each panelist has an equal share of the spotlight. Reframe discussions if dominance occurs and use humor innovatively to create a positive atmosphere. Unconventional approaches, like those showcased at “inspire expire” show, can break convention and foster innovation.
The Power of Storytelling and Audience Engagement
Captivate your audience with compelling narratives. Encourage active participation through questions and polls, fostering an interactive and engaging atmosphere.
Laurent Haug’s Perspective
Moderation, according to Laurent Haug, is a paradoxical profession—simultaneously in the shadows and in the spotlight. It demands intense preparation to make everything seem simple and natural.
Elevate Your Conferences with Klewel
Mastering the art of panel discussion facilitation transforms conferences into engaging and memorable experiences. Embrace the wisdom shared by industry stalwarts, and elevate your moderation skills to new heights. Transform your conferences into captivating experiences with Klewel’s expertise in recording, broadcasting, and publishing conference videos. Let us help you make your next event unforgettable.
Contact Us Today